News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Proper Battery charging

Started by Naranja_CT5+, October 01, 2024, 09:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

Naranja_CT5+

I have read that you can increase battery life by NOT charging to 100% if your ride style does not used up the majority of the charge per ride. My regular maximum return trips usually no more than 4 LED bars.

I am guilty of old school thinking that batteries must be charge fully every time I put it in a charger. Plus RAD recommends charging to 100% at the end of your ride.

I realized that the post was in reference to the old batteries but I assumed it pertains to the semi-integrated as well.

I liked what this member said therefore going forward I will stop charging somewhre in the 8th LED indicator.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1001.msg5067#msg5067
Quote from: DickB on May 12, 2021, 04:40:55 PMIf you are not using the full capacity of your Rad battery when riding, you can take advantage of this characteristic and extend the life of your Rad battery. I typically ride 10-12 miles per day, with minimum level (1-2) assist, and my battery capacity drops only about 20% on the battery meter. On trips into town, I ride about 15 miles at higher assist (3-4), and then use about 40% capacity. Clearly, I could charge to only 80% capacity and have ample reserve capacity at the end of my rides.

The Rad battery charger will on its own charge to 100% capacity.  You can charge to a lesser capacity with it by simply disconnecting the charger before it has completed a normal charge cycle
Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

John Rose

If I used my bike daily, I would charge to 100% after a ride.
I don't, and usually go on relatively short (8-15 km) trips, so if I'm down one bar out of five I just let it stay that way. When I plan a ride I will charge it to 100% the night before.

I think the main concern is to not keep it charged to 100% when you are not going to use it for days/weeks/months at a time. It results in a gradual chemical change that is not reversible. It's very different from the "battery memory" effect in Ni-Cad batteries. Ideally, I suppose the best strategy (to maximize long-term battery life) is to wait to top it up until immediately before you plan to ride it. I charge it the night before (on a count-down timer) as a compromise.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Support the rad owners forum