News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad rover 6 plus battery suddenly dead no bars no charging stays green

Started by nickster99, October 19, 2024, 10:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

nickster99

I had my battery inside my house always kept inside with probably 3/4 charge or more . I grabbed it to go for a ride after couple weeks of bad weather outside. I pushed the button on battery ,  no bars no lights at all ! I put in my charger it's green not charging . I confirmed battery is dead by putting on bike . I have only about 250 miles on bike and 2 to 3 years old ?
How could this die inside not being used at all ?

John Rose

Maybe it actually is charged up but the output fuse is blown.
I don't know what's in the semi-integrated batteries, and the manual for the RR6+ makes no mention of them. Maybe they're soldered on the PC board, maybe they're more like a circuit breaker that eventually resets itself.
In the non-semi integrated batteries there's one fuse for charging (something like 5 or 10 amps) and another for output/discharging (40 amps?).
Conceivably, if the charging fuse is good, the charger can still charge it, but if the main (output) fuse is gone it looks totally dead according to the on-battery LEDs or the handlebar display. Green LED on the charger would mean that it's finished charging.

Again, this is all sheer speculation on my part,🤷🏼 but it would seem to be consistent with the symptoms you reported.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

nickster99

Thanks for your time , I did pop the end cap off and it seems I have black plastic shrink wrap around my batteries and not blue, so I may not have the car type fuses. I haven't gone any further with it .
I read on fixit post that black wrapped may have soldered on fuses. Amazing that fuses might blow while sitting in my house not connected to anything at all.
Nick

DickB

It's extremely unlikely that a fuse blew on its own. I understand there is a "ship" mode for these batteries - maybe check that?

nickster99

DickB , I read your post , I was hopeful and tried the get out of ship mode , nothing happened unfortunately.
Thanks for the info, battery still dead  and I agree how could fuse fail while sitting in my house not connected to anything and last used it was fine and over 3/4 charged

Naranja_CT5+

250 miles over 3 years. Seemed quite a low mileage. How often have you charged your battery?

It has been a long time and I vaguely remembered the sequence of events. But there was an occasion where I thought I saw green light instead of red light when I started charging my battery. Obviously it was not what I expected to see so I stop charging. But one thing I remembered was that the bike was parked outside and there were frost on the ground. So I decided to wait a couple of hours while the battery warms up a bit and try charging again. This time the charging light was red. BTW while at work the bike is parked inside my office where there are electronic equipments therefore it's usually warmer than room temperature.

I wonder if extreme temperatures played a role with your problem (heat or cold). Where were you storing it? Have you tried charging again?

Lastly, when I assembled my bike, somehow the ship mode was not working but it seemed to be working now. So I tried testing the ship mode. Once on ship mode, pressing the Battery button will not activate the Charge level lights and no power is supplied to the motor. If I turn the bike On, the motor spins but the battery remains in ship mode.

Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

nickster99

I may have closer to 300 can't check it with no battery and it may be just over 2 years old . I never kept battery anywhere but inside my heated and cooled house. I tried hold the button in to take it out of possible ship mode , nothing happens

Support the rad owners forum