News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Possible controller problems

Started by Boopa, March 26, 2020, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Boopa

Hi Folks, I have been loving my rad power wagon for the last year and a half and recently passed 2500 miles. Only recently has it began to surge when I pedal (in any PAS level). On the screen, the watts delivered in number form reflect what I am feeling. 50 watts jumps to 300, drops to 150 then up to 500 etc.  when I first noticed it, the twist throttle would not respond at all. Like all things, diagnosing is tricky in that it is inconsistent .  Now the throttle works fine.

I noticed that the Rad folks have tutorials on replacing the controller, but no mention (that I can find) on why one would need to replace that item. Any thoughts/advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

Have not heard of this specific issue but here are a few ideas. Check all connections, including throttle connector.  Disconnected/reconnect and see if it continues. I wouldn't think it would be the PAS sensor, but make sure that isn't broken. Lastly, look for anything that looks weird with the battery or any connection there. Narrowing down the issue is key. Fortunately some folks replace their controller with the Bolton offering so you may be able to pick up a used one for a decent price. Let us know what you find out.

fin_rad

Would this be something similar?
https://youtu.be/rq8lhS90puw
Could be the settings being messed up, bad controller, bad throttle... Or the wires.

sloppy

I agree with what everyone else is saying start with wiring.  then check controller..  If all the wiring checked out personally I would just upgrade to the bolton kit he has the no taillight ones marked down right now anyway.  would upgrade the capability of the bike and get a slightly more robust and programmable controller. 

Boopa

Hello Everyone,  I am happier to report that my Radwagon is back to riding very well. I checked every connection and cleaned off the magnetic ring near the crank (it was filthy).  None of this fixed the surging problem. The Rad Tech Crew finally suggested replacing the PAS Sensor as well as the Magnetic Ring which comes with it. That did the trick, my bike is back to having smooth and consistent power delivery.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The hardest part was into a bike shop. They are swamped with repair work during this pandemic season. I'm a happy guy!

Ryan

Quote from: Boopa on June 15, 2020, 04:36:20 PM
Hello Everyone,  I am happier to report that my Radwagon is back to riding very well. I checked every connection and cleaned off the magnetic ring near the crank (it was filthy).  None of this fixed the surging problem. The Rad Tech Crew finally suggested replacing the PAS Sensor as well as the Magnetic Ring which comes with it. That did the trick, my bike is back to having smooth and consistent power delivery.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The hardest part was into a bike shop. They are swamped with repair work during this pandemic season. I'm a happy guy!

Awesome, thanks for reporting back!

Les

I have a Rover step thru; purchased it about 4-months ago. My bike did not seem to have enough power to do steep hills so RAD sent me a new controller and video instructions to install it. One small issue was that the instructions were for the non-step thru Rover, but the main problem I encountered was that the a plug I was supposed to pull out of the frame to mate to the new controller would not pull out. There was some tape or something else around it that held it in.
Rad was very helpful. They arranged for a no-cost repair, and when the local bike shop doing the work reported that the control cable plug was in bad shape they send a new controlled cable, all at no charge.
I have not checked out yet whether the new controller fixed the hill climb problem, but RAD really came through when needed. Great company!

Ryan

Quote from: Les on August 06, 2020, 01:57:38 PM
I have a Rover step thru; purchased it about 4-months ago. My bike did not seem to have enough power to do steep hills so RAD sent me a new controller and video instructions to install it. One small issue was that the instructions were for the non-step thru Rover, but the main problem I encountered was that the a plug I was supposed to pull out of the frame to mate to the new controller would not pull out. There was some tape or something else around it that held it in.
Rad was very helpful. They arranged for a no-cost repair, and when the local bike shop doing the work reported that the control cable plug was in bad shape they send a new controlled cable, all at no charge.
I have not checked out yet whether the new controller fixed the hill climb problem, but RAD really came through when needed. Great company!

Always good to hear stories like this. Thanks Les and welcome to the forum!

furrious

2019 Rad City Bike
I have noted that, several times in the last few months, sometimes my throttle will not respond at all when starting from rest. Yesterday for the first time, I got no response from throttle and no (boost) response from pedaling. My screen showed only the outlines of the data but contained no data. The system was not responding at all. I removed battery and reconnected. I pushed the 3 keys on the selector, both one by one and in all combinations. I did this with battery connected and disconnected. I finally gave up and started pedaling home. After a quarter mile I decided to try again and suddenly it all started to work normally again. Does this sound like a possible controller problem?

Ryan

Quote from: furrious on August 09, 2020, 07:22:03 AM
2019 Rad City Bike
I have noted that, several times in the last few months, sometimes my throttle will not respond at all when starting from rest. Yesterday for the first time, I got no response from throttle and no (boost) response from pedaling. My screen showed only the outlines of the data but contained no data. The system was not responding at all. I removed battery and reconnected. I pushed the 3 keys on the selector, both one by one and in all combinations. I did this with battery connected and disconnected. I finally gave up and started pedaling home. After a quarter mile I decided to try again and suddenly it all started to work normally again. Does this sound like a possible controller problem?

Since it seems intermittent it sounds more like a connection issue. I'd first try unplugging all connections around the bike and plugging them in again. When this is happening does your bike turn on and off without problem? (eliminates brake cutoff being the issue).