News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadRhino battery hack vs voltage

Started by RadR-EsT4, June 19, 2024, 02:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

RadR-EsT4

Hello, i assembled backup battery option to my RadRhino 6, but battery is 52v(doohan iTango battery). I have to watch out voltage and monitor it manually when it is emty. Catch is that 54.6v means full for Rad, but battery charge has to be about 75% to match RadRhino 6 full level. Everything is working fine as i keep max-min voltages in check, but could controller tolerate 1-2 volts above full, if i forgot to pull charging off right time?. Everything works very fine as i keep voltage min-max in check, but i ask about "what if". This battery acts as a backup when official battery is emty( Yes i pull official battery out then i connect backup power) to reach destination when needed.

In short i use 52v battery on system that is designed for 48v, keeping min-max voltages in check. 54.6v is full and 45v is somewhere 20%. Works fine and well as a backup, already driven over 200km with this. Why i did this you ask, free battery.

inoxa

If I understand you correctly, your 52v battery shouldn't work on your bike unless you have upgraded the controller. and mixing the two is the other tricky issue.  I think a balancer will help but for full benefit of the 52v battery is to upgrade your controller.

RadR-EsT4

Quote from: inoxa on June 20, 2024, 01:47:23 PMIf I understand you correctly, your 52v battery shouldn't work on your bike unless you have upgraded the controller. and mixing the two is the other tricky issue.  I think a balancer will help but for full benefit of the 52v battery is to upgrade your controller.

It functions because i keep upper charge voltage limit in 48v classification area, 54.6v means full for 48v classification, but for 52v classification battery it is somewhere 75% charge. I do not ever connect them once, i pull one out then connect another. Soldered special connector for Doohan battery.

Support the rad owners forum