News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

How best to carry extra semi-integrated battery packs?

Started by shelvacu, June 23, 2024, 07:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

shelvacu

I have a RadRunner 3+ with the large basket mounted on the back.

I would appreciate a longer range than I am currently getting and it would be great to carry along 1 or 2 extra battery packs that I could swap in. I know I could just throw a battery in a bag but I was hoping there might be a more secure option.

John Rose

A. Is the space under the rear rack wide and deep enough to put two of the batteries under it? Make a sling out of nylon webbing for them to sit on.

B. If you put two of them in pannier bags it would lower the centre of gravity.

C. If you're going far enough to burn through three batteries, you'll probably want to take a break. Then consider something a bit more theft-proof, like a lockable hard-shell box or steel cage.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

inoxa

Wow you will probably need that break.  My butt gets soar on the long rides.   

Securing will be your issue.  You best option is to take the batteries when you dismount.  But they are heavy.  If it is just for the ride to and from home then not an issue.

Naranja_CT5+

To me riding my e-bike is like building a rocket. Any additional weight is not a good thing. But I respect that others have different needs.

The expensive way is to attach a hard case like a Pelican on top of the rear rack. Or see if a 3 inch PVC pipe will fit underneath the rear rack. Put an end cap on one end  and use a long removable shackle padlock on the other end.
Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

John Rose

Quote from: Naranja_CT5+ on June 26, 2024, 05:58:03 AM... Or see if a 3 inch PVC pipe will fit underneath the rear rack. ...
My first thought about that idea was to make a cone-shaped cap for the front, have a flat rear end cap with a few inches of fake fuse (twine) sticking out of it, paint it all red, and (finally) stick on an "ACME" label.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Support the rad owners forum