News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad runner hub rebuild

Started by Radguru1234, July 07, 2024, 09:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

Radguru1234

Hi everyone I'm in the process of doing hub repairs on my rad runner 2. in the 2 years I've owned it I've had 2 hubs die on me and i figured I'd try and have a go at repairing one of them here is where I've gotten so far

So far I've taken both hubs apart the first one had a major bearing faliure there was only couple of pieces of metal left and the axle shaft was unfortunately very worn the second one didn't seem too have anything wrong with it other than it made a horrible grinding noise when under load I took everything apart and found 3 of the magnets where lose and all the rest came off extremely easily I checked the other hub and all where solid I ended up taking all the magnets out of the hub scuff sanded the backs and and the inside of the drum cleaned everything with acetone and used high temp jb weld too secure them into the housing glue has too dry for 24 hours will update later on.

inoxa

nice job but why not just swap it with old hub?

Radguru1234

I didn't want too buy another hub and wheel assembly from rad as they don't sell the motor individually I'm a food delivery driver and I do 10k+ k in a year so i figured I'd just learn how too repair them since I go thru them so fast

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: Radguru1234 on July 08, 2024, 11:10:15 AMI do 10k+ k in a year
I know V. Island is a very hilly place but still 2 hubs in 2 years?

I applaud you for being very mechanical. I probably just abandoned my bike if I had such a problem.
Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

inoxa

Quote from: Radguru1234 on July 08, 2024, 11:10:15 AMI didn't want too buy another hub and wheel assembly from rad as they don't sell the motor individually I'm a food delivery driver and I do 10k+ k in a year so i figured I'd just learn how too repair them since I go thru them so fast

Ok I thought maybe you saved the first bad hub.  Good Job.

Radguru1234

Update put everything back together and no more grinding noise under high load I also noticed it seems too have a lot better speed pickup. I'm thinking the magnets where slightly lose for a while before they finally fell off when I was taking the magnets off the adhesive on them felt more like tree sap then glue maybe a bad batch of hubs

Radguru1234

Here is the video that helped me fix the hub i believe rad runner hubs are re branded bafang g60 motors when I took it apart everything was identical.

Support the rad owners forum