News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Replace Rear Wheel on Radwagon4

Started by okobojicat, July 11, 2024, 08:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

okobojicat

I'm not sure what I hit, but rim on my rad wagon 4 is quite impacted. Its now blown out two tubes and cut through two tires. Got a quote from Rad for $350 for a new wheel + motor assembly. They indicated I can't purchase the wheel separate from the motor.
Has anyone had any luck doing that? Or acquiring a rim elsewhere? I'm assuming buying the front wheel and sticking the motor on there and hoping it works ok is a bad solution right? And I'm not skilled enough as a mechanic to do that anyway.
Basically, any thoughts on doing something besides replacing entire rim and motor?

inoxa

You might consult with Area13.  They are a good source of information and may have what you are looking for.  Not sure they will have a better price.  I would call or email Area13 and see what your options are.  They do have a 1000 watt motor that might work. 

Maybe a bike shop can lace your current motor on a rim they stock. 

John Rose

Quote from: okobojicat on July 11, 2024, 08:19:24 AMI'm assuming buying the front wheel and sticking the motor on there and hoping it works ok is a bad solution right?
I was going to suggest exactly that (installing the rim from a front wheel onto your rear hub and spokes). The hardest and most time-consuming part would be tuning the spokes to get it centred and wobble-free.
It should not be much harder than swapping in a bare rim. I'd mark each spoke (on the original rear wheel) with a sharpie where it enters the spoke nipple just to get it close to start with.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: okobojicat on July 11, 2024, 08:19:24 AMI'm not sure what I hit, but rim on my rad wagon 4 is quite impacted. It's now blown out two tubes and cut through two tires. Got a quote from Rad for $350 for a new wheel + motor assembly.
Unfortunately not only being mechanically inclined but you also need the right tools for such endeavour. Having to source out different parts may cost you similar cost if you factor time and effort.
Depending on your location. There is a company in Vancouver Canada that caters to kit e-bikes called Grin Technologies. Maybe they sell wheels. Check their website.
Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

Support the rad owners forum