News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover 5 rear wheel motor issue

Started by ChrisG, July 12, 2024, 12:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

ChrisG

My motor has over time developed a rumbling noise that also vibrates up through the seat post. Has anyone tried to take these apart to repair them? or am I faced with sourcing a complete new wheel from Rad? Bike has 6,000Kms on OD.

inoxa

Someone has opened one up and said the magnets were loose and needed regluing.  It is a recent post but not on a Rover 5.  The repair was a "Rad runner hub rebuild".  It was originally listed July 7th.  Hope this helps. 

Too bad with low mileage you are experiencing the problem. 
Those motors are good for at lease 16k km or 10k miles.

ChrisG

I'm going to try taking it apart but won't get to it for another week or so. It feels like a bad drive gears set maybe.

inoxa

They call them planetary gears.  They can be purchased online.

ChrisG

I took it apart today after viewing a YouTube video I found online. There are 3 planetary nylon gears inside the the motor drives inside a metal gear ring in the hub. Everything looked fine except very dry of grease. I regreased them and reassembled. Just took a ride and although not totally resolving the rumble definitely improved to acceptable. If anyone else needs info I did find the nylon gear assembly on Amazon at very reasonable prices.

inoxa

congrats.  glad it is just the gears and glad you are satisfied with more grease.

Support the rad owners forum