News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad has problem starting

Started by Willie, July 16, 2024, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

Willie

I have a Rad city bike 2,000 miles on. Ok i charge battery to almost full and then disconnect charger and bike will not start. Display is blank & no reading on battery. So then i plug the charger in and presto starts right up with battery reading charged. I can go anywhere but if i stop everything goes blank even the battery no lights. If i take the battery out out of bike and try it on the bench it seems fine.  But other times it will be fine. Once i drop it into bike it goes blank,  but not all the time. I cant really use it like this. There are no ebike shops in my area. Can someone suggest what it may be.

inoxa

specify the city model you have.  just city doesn't help enough.

hard for me to follow.  does the battery show charged off the charger by the indicators on the battery?

Is the battery charging?  Is the charger red and then go green instantly whether battery is charged or not?

Depending on the above answers and depending on the model you may have wire shorting where the battery meets the battery cradle on the bike.  I had that happen on a RAD Rover 5.  I had to replace those connections.

Another issue I had is the battery wouldn't not charge right after a hot ride.  So I started waiting an hour or so before charging the battery. 

Others have fuse issues but it doesn't sound like that is an issue since you say it is intermittent.

inoxa

After reading your problem again, I think it is the connections on the battery and battery cradle.  Since you have 2000 miles, you probably have a City 3....just a guess.  So it is similar to my Rover 5.  The wiring in the cradle is very thin and mine melted the wiring.  The battery wiring is beefier.  I had to replace both sides because of a slightly different version and the old didn't fit the new. 

open the little box on the cradle.  I think it is only 2 Phillips screws.  You should know immediately if it is the wiring problem.  You will notice melted insulation around the wiring.

Willie

Quote from: inoxa on July 17, 2024, 07:57:02 AMAfter reading your problem again, I think it is the connections on the battery and battery cradle.  Since you have 2000 miles, you probably have a City 3....just a guess.  So it is similar to my Rover 5.  The wiring in the cradle is very thin and mine melted the wiring.  The battery wiring is beefier.  I had to replace both sides because of a slightly different version and the old didn't fit the new. 

open the little box on the cradle.  I think it is only 2 Phillips screws.  You should know immediately if it is the wiring problem.  You will notice melted insulation around the wiring.

This wiring issue may be it. Battery is ok but when i drop it in my Rad City 4 there is no power, even the battery will not give me a reading, today i pulled up just a little from connecting and the battery is reading charged up. This wiring may be the problem. Sometimes i can go and sometimes not. Thank you gentlemen i will let you know i make out.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: inoxa on July 17, 2024, 07:57:02 AMAfter reading your problem again, I think it is the connections on the battery and battery cradle.  Since you have 2000 miles, you probably have a City 3....just a guess.  So it is similar to my Rover 5.  The wiring in the cradle is very thin and mine melted the wiring.  The battery wiring is beefier.  I had to replace both sides because of a slightly different version and the old didn't fit the new. 

I agree with your statement. 2000 miles could have loosen some of the connections or exposed (shorting) some wiring that may be causing the intermittent issues that Willie described. I think an end to end inspection of the wiring system is a good call.
Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

Willie

Ok this is Willie that had the problem with my City bike with only 2,000 miles on it with problem not starting in my July post. I purchased a new controller from Rad for $118.00 and sucess!!!! My ebike is perfect once again. Thought i would pass this on to everyone.  Took about 1 hour to replace it. Thanks to all for your input. Willie in Hubbardston, MA

Support the rad owners forum