News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://radpowerbikes.pxf.io/Wq1EzZ

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

The inconvenience of owning an e-bike

Started by Naranja_CT5+, August 19, 2024, 01:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Support the rad owners forum

Naranja_CT5+

I recently read someone losing their bike to thieves. And it made me think of my own situation. Ever since I took possession of my bike. I have never left it unattended. I am so paranoid of losing it that I strictly use it for recreation. I used it to commute to work but I have a secured storage at work. There are times I wished I could take it to Costco for light grocery shopping but I'm always afraid that's too long to leave the bike unattended.

As a precautionary measures my bike has a frame lock, an Apple AirTag, and alarm system. I also used an old Targus laptop cable lock to secure the handlebars. It also acts as a second alarm. I also marked my bike with something unique so that if it ever gets stolen, I can point this out to the cops as proof that it's mine. Photos come in handy too. I have learned that giving the cops the location of your property is not enough due to privacy issues. I do not kid myself that these steps will prevent someone from stealing my bike but it is enough for my peace of mind.

Having said this, I think once the bike gets older, I'm probably going to relax a bit and start being less paranoid and treat it like my car for running errands.

Some of the inconveniences that I see are:
I have to find a secure place to lock it.
I have to take the battery and items on the handlebars that can be easily removed with me.
Secure the removable front wheel & seat.
I have to keep my errands short (under 30 minutes long).

It also makes me wonder if thieves realize that stealing an e-bike is similar to stealing a car. It is no longer a petty crime.

Literally is LITERALLY the most annoying word of the decade.

Ledbetter

Sorry about your bike. What lock were you using? Thanks.

Naranja_CT5+

Quote from: Ledbetter on August 22, 2024, 01:05:25 PMSorry about your bike. What lock were you using? Thanks.
My bike was not stolen. What I am saying is that, the way I fuss about my bike is pain in the butt sometimes .

I am using an ABUS Amparo Pro frame lock https://www.radowners.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=5503;image

John Rose

On the Youtube channel Shifter he points out that one of the best things a city can do for cycling infrastructure is to have bike parking garages that are staffed. Which some cities (like Amsterdam) do have.

In a shopping centre near me they have sheet metal bike lockers in the parking lot that completely cover the bike, but you provide the padlock. There's no security watching them, so they are not safe from guys with portable angle grinders. At least you can't see if it's an expensive looking bike.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

Naranja_CT5+

The idea of public bike lockers has not taken off popularity in the city. We do have metal lockers at the train station and it is covered so no one knows what is inside the lockers but outdoor malls or malls for that matters like mini parkades should also have them too. I would gladly pay to use them. It is cheaper than carrying a heavy chain locks.

But I think mall property owners shy away because of dealing with lost items could be costly. Just guessing.

Tree

this seems to be the very definition of first world problems.

John Rose

Malls and train stations should have bike racks indoors, like next to food courts or between kiosks, or other places where there are eyes and ears. People would notice somebody using a bolt cutter or angle grinder a few feet away.

Quote from: Tree on August 25, 2024, 10:14:04 AMthis seems to be the very definition of first world problems.
Not really. It's an issue all over the world, especially in the third world where a bike might be a big investment and maybe necessary to make a livelihood.

A First World Problem would be not being able to decide what colour of handlebar grips to buy.
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

mrgold35

I would like the option for physical key, keypad, or a wireless fob under X feet away for an ebikes to start it up for an added layer of security.  I've carried either physical keys, fobs, smartphone, or a wallet for +50 years and it hasn't been an issue misplacing for home, work, vehicles, travel, etc...  This won't stop the determined thief; but, limit the random "opportunistic" thief that keep electric/mechanical wire cutters in a backpack.

Ddaybc

Around 1970 I had a 10 speed road bike. It was expensive for the time and I used to bring it inside wherever I went. I kept it for a few decades and never had it stolen. I often had to explain what I was doing and why. No one objected. Sadly we can't do that anymore. Too many bikes and too few understanding people.
My current bike is a RW4 and I use a heavy Kryptonite chain lock, an older segmented and hardened bike lock similar to the Abus lock and an X3 Barronium D lock. Even though my bike's not worth much, as compared to a Tern cargo bike for example, I still don't feel comfortable leaving it for more than 30 minutes at a time.
At least with the Barronium D lock, it is so portable angle grinder resistant the thief would have to cut the bike stand and take my bike with the lock still attached. It would definitely make identification easier. LOL They would also have to cut the frame to remove it so, for them, it would make the bike worthless. The motor, controller and other parts not so much.

jastewart325

I live in Seattle and sometimes lock my bike in slightly sketchy surroundings. For quick in-and-out stops I think a frame lock and a motion sensor alarm are sufficient. The motion sensor has the additional advantage of potentially preventing the theft of accessories.

Ddaybc

Quote from: jastewart325 on September 05, 2024, 09:42:19 PMFor quick in-and-out stops I think a frame lock and a motion sensor alarm are sufficient. The motion sensor has the additional advantage of potentially preventing the theft of accessories.
I like the idea of the motion sensor alarm. I'm concerned about theft of accessories too.

BTW, in my previous post I incorrectly said I have a Barronium D Lock. Actually it's a Litelok X3 and the stuff it's made of is called Barronium. They also make a Litelok X1. It's also angle grinder resistant but it is not as angle grinder resistant as the X3. Sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

Support the rad owners forum